Friday, March 16, 2012

Smells Like the Holy Spirit

*Current Fragrance: Stealing some of my husband's Eau Duelle by Diptyque
*Currently Listening: Blue and White (Black and Yellow Remix) by The UNC Clef Hangers

** Disclaimer: If you are easily offended by a complete irreverence towards religion, well...don't say I didn't warn you! :-) None of this is mean spirited, just completely irreverent. I mean, you've read this blog before, right? 

Right now in the LeBlanc-Hood household, it's March Madness (I mean, I married a UNC Grad...COME ON!) so we believe in the Church of College Basketball. Sorry Annie Savoy, the Church of Baseball will just have to wait.

"I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex." - Annie Savoy

Yesterday I found several links on twitter about Pope Benedict commissioning his own bespoke fragrance.  You can read about it here. (Thanks to Bois de Jasmin for being the first one I saw posting the info.) My first thought, "Wow! That's one chic Holy Father!", the next thought, "Lordy, I wonder how long it is until someone starts raking him over the proverbial coals?"

I'm going to go ahead and resist any jokes that could be made here, and resist retelling what my husband asked if it smelled of. (Hint, it was SO OFFENSIVE that it made me double over in laughter and take a few steps in the other direction. I mean, hello...have you read ANYTHING I've written, EVER!?!)

Thinking about it this morning, I'm not going to look into it. I'd inevitably go to the comment section and get mad about what people are saying and have to drink yet another cup of herbal tea! Here's the story I've conjured in my mind. Maybe, just maybe - the fragrance is a vehicle that puts the Pope in the frame of mind to communicate with the Almighty. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Snazzy!
Enough of that Old Time Religion, I want to talk more about perfume! I'm pretty sure that this topic has been covered in just about every perfume blog out there; but I know a lot of my friends aren't exactly "perfume blog readers" they just read No Disassemble Charlie No. 5 because I guilt and bludgeon them into doing so... I mean because they love me...that's it!


There's a little Sally Field in all of us!
If you could have your own perfume created for you, what would you want? Are there particular notes you'd like? Would you like it to be like a particular fragrance with a few tweaks? Is there a particular perfumer you'd like to create it for you?

Here's what I think I'd like: A fresh floral-gourmand: Dewey-Rose-jammy. Some geranium, Some coconut, some black currant, some sparkling (yet contextualized) aldehydes dancing on the top, perhaps a little cardamom, some type of tea in the dry-down.  I'd love, LOVE to see what the perfumer of my beloved Liaisons Dangereuses (and J'Adore) Calice Becker would come up with. Also, the Gorilla Perfume guys (Mr. Constantine and younger Mr. Constantine) would come up with using all natural materials. (i.e.: What could be aldehyde-esque?) Oh yeah, and my Geode idea...some one get on that. Just, pretty please - credit me with the idea.

Comment below with your own wishes and ideas! The sky's the limit and there are NO WRONG ANSWERS, YAY! You know..."Pure Imagination" and all! :o)


Have a great weekend weekend, dear readers! I'll be back Monday for another movement of Lincolnshire Posy for Musical Monday. :o)

*Currently Listening: Halo perfumed by Pitch Slapped
***Photo credits: 1) jonathanrosenbaum.com 2) en.wikipedia.org 3) blog.guruofnew.com

2 comments:

  1. I can't answer as well as you... because I don't know that much about perfumes, notes and such.... but one of my absolute fragrances of all time is So de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta.... and I also love the smell of pretty much everything at the Aveda spa- just the ROOM smells wonderful..... and all of their products- shampoos, lotions.. smell great... so... in a very barbaric way.. I would just say that if Aveda and So de la Renta had a kid.... that would be my fragrance. Sadly, I am not even sure what that would encompass... but I know it would make me happy.

    Oh.. and I am dying to know what Al said.. .something popped in my mind.. but I don't know if it is offensive enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE congratulations to you! see more. Brazilian Blowout
    Treatment

    ReplyDelete