Thursday, April 12, 2012

Madonna's Truth or Dare: The Perfume Not The Documentary (What Would Have Been Musical Monday)

*Current Fragrance: Womanity by Thierry Mugler
*Currently Listening: The Today Show


Oh Madonna! How I love thee! I remember being a very young girl singing along to "Like A Virgin", and my mother telling me I could sing along (NOT in front of my Dad) until I knew what "virgin" meant. (In my mind, this was brilliant parenting; as it drove me NUTS not to know what a word meant.)

Given my longstanding love affair with The Material Girl, I was ECSTATIC to find out that Madonna was going to do her own scent. (I resist to call it a "celebu-scent", because she's more than a celebrity...she's freaking Madonna!) I hoped against hope for it to not to be a tutti-fruit-pink-fest; I just could not have been able to deal that that! I would have cried for days and removed all Madonna music from my iPhone. (Yes, I realize this is behavior more befitting of someone in their early 'teens, not their early 30's, but whatever...it's Madonna!)

It's been widely reported that Madge loves to wear Robert Piguet's va-va-voom tuberose Fracas. (I may or may not have gone and brought bottle of the tuber-juice solely based on this information...) I got to thinking and hoping, "maybe just maybe Madonna's fragrance will be a tuberose!"  Then Women's Wear Daily issued this interview with Madonna:

“I have always been obsessed by fragrance and for years wanted to create something personal that was an expression of me, but that other people could relate to as well. Something classical and timeless and yet modern. My oldest memory of my mother is her perfume. I carry it with me everywhere. She always smelled like gardenias and tuberose, an intoxicating mixture [that was] feminine and mysterious. I wanted to re-create this scent, but with something fresh and new about it as well. Something honest and yet daring — hence the name Truth or Dare”

Truth or Dare is a goumandy-Tuberose-Gardenia. It's very evocative of Fracas, but not in a copy-cat sort of way. The vanilla, amber and benzoin gives it a more broad appeal. Here's a little perfume math for me to explain the scent: Fracas + Aloha Tiare - the coconut = Truth or Dare. (Aloha Tiare is an old love of mine, for the record!)

I'd like the think that the Tuberose/Gardenia is the glamorous Madonna and the daughter paying homage to her mother, with the more gourmand notes being Madonna at home, sans makeup, in the kitchen with her children.

Is it going to change perfumery? No. Is it SO MUCH BETTER than 99.999999999999999% of "Celeb-u-scent"? YES! Will I buying a small bottle and be wearing some when I go see Madonna in concert at the T.D. North Garden the day before my Birthday this September? ABSO-F@#KING-LUTLEY!

And now...I leave you with some music from her latest album, MDNA...a little "Love Spent."

 
*Currently Listening: I'm A Sinner by Madonna
**Photo Credit: 1) allaboutmadonna.com

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I wasn't planning on going out of my way to try this (as a young whippersnapper, I don't have the same fond memories of Madonna that many others seem to), but it sounds very well done. And I like your description of this perfume as representing those two sides of Madonna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the vanilla in it would make you smile. I mean, maybe I'm reading too much into the scent, but...I try to "smell up" ;-) as it keeps me for getting cynical.

      Delete
  2. I am sooo looking forward to trying this one. Meanwhile, I just gave a friend Fracas for her fortieth (oh, that is unexpectedly alliterative!), and she was very happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to be available quite soon in the UK. I remember something I read on twitter...

      Glad your friend enjoyed her delightfully alliterative Fracas gift! :-)

      Delete