Friday, May 25, 2012

I've Got A Lot of Sniffin' To Do

*Current Fragrance:  Les Senteurs Gourmandes Tendre Madeleine by Laurence Dumont
*Currently Listening: Sunday Morning by No Doubt (I have my entire iTunes on shuffle. That's entertainment!)

You're thinking..."Ummm...?" But it'll make sense in a paragraph!
 I've had one good smelling doorstep this week! Another way of putting it: the perfume parcel pixies have been kind to me this week. In the past week there have been not one, but two little packages chocked full of perfume samples for me to sniff my way through. In the wise wise words of "Bye Bye Birdie" I've got a lot of livin' sniffin' to do!


From Sarah at Unity Cassel the following: Evil Max, Over the Chocolate Shop, Lead Us Not Into Temptation, Lights On, The Lion Cupboard, and Urana's Tokyo Cafe.

From Elisa writer of The French Exit and On The Scent are: Les Senteurs Gourmandes Tendre Madeleine by Laurence Dumont, Rose Barbare from Guerlain, Tuscany Per Donna from Estee Lauder, YSL's Y, Badgley Mischka, Par Amour from Clarins (It's got blackcurrant AND cardamom in it? Be still my beating heart!) Couture! from Moschino, and Rossy de Palma from Etat Libre d'Orange.

So yeah, I've got a lot of sniffin' to do! Also...note of interest: I've decided that "perfume people" - on the whole - have very lovely taste in stationary! (Judging from the notes in packages I've received since starting No Disassemble Charlie No. 5.)

I'm a bit all over the place when it comes to trying out new scents (when I have a sample size to try at home and IRL). If it's something specific that I'm looking for, there's a bit more of a chance of immediacy. If it's just a "hey, I just have a back log of perfumes to try" type of thing, I'll wait until I'm not in a particular fragrance "mood" and just blindly grab something from the envelope and dab it on. Days off are really good for that. I can generally try about 3 scents, getting a good feel for them. I can't "try" two scents at once. My nose isn't THAT discerning, and for me I can't get the entire "feel" of the fragrance. I just wait til I can no longer smell it, lightly wash at the sink if convenient and re-apply.

So dear readers, how do you test fragrance? Do you have a "process"? Or does it vary depending upon what you're looking for or how much you like what you're trying? Let me know in the comment section.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend! (There's a very special "Summer Guide" post coming up post Memorial Day, so stay tuned!)

*Currently Listening: Clarinet Concerto No. 6 In D, Mvt. I - Moderato by Molter (my iTunes on shuffle is a many diverse splendid thing!)
**Photo Credits: 1) greatoldmovies.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I test perfumes only when I work from home or in the evening after work. To the office I usually wear one of my favorite perfumes (and only sometimes a perfume I want to test wearing it - but usually by that time I've tested it at home at least 1-2 times).

    If I'm not in the middle of a project (Weeklong Test Drive of a brand or Single Note Exploration) I just look at my samples and decide what I want to test. But the more untested/barely tested samples I accumulate the harder it is to choose. So I was thinking about coding some logic into my database to either randomly or by some criteria suggest me a list of samples to test.

    I can test two perfumes at the same time on two wrists. But to finally decide if I want the perfume I need to wear it (e.g. apply to 3-4 points) vs. just test on the wrist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you would impart some method to the madness, Undina! :-)

      I normally go ahead and test on all my favorite spots, as I tend to wear things differently on different points in my body.

      Delete