Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Who Knew Waves Could Smell So Good?

*Currently Fragrance: Eau Duelle from Diptyque
*Currently Listening: The Dragon Song from A Very Potter Musical

The view from the VERY END of the Long Wharf overlooking Boston Harbor. AKA - My favorite place in Boston.
Our fragrance filled lives aren't exclusively perfumed with "fine fragrance." Actually most of the time they're filled with "functional fragrance." This is an account of me unexpectedly finding a functional fragrance gem.

The Reed Making Warrior and I had plans to go have a picnic dinner (err...actually it was lunch) this past Friday at the end of the Long Wharf. I decided this outing would be the perfect time to debut a new hair style. Only problem being, I hadn't yet fixed my hair in this fashion. I wanted to go for some "beachy waves"; now I'm not going to bore your with ALL the styling details as this is NOT a beauty blog, but I will give you a few details. See, my hair is naturally curly, and I straighten it on an almost daily basis. Notice I said straighten, not wash and dry. That much labor sounds exhausting! Thankfully I have relatively coarse and dry hair.

When I tried to achieve the "beachy waves look" starting with wet hair, I actually ended up looking like I should have been an extra in the upcoming Baz Luhrmann adaptation of The Great Gatsby. Although, after seeing the trailer I honestly don't know what I think; hell, I'll still end up going to the theater to see it. I can't resist, I know myself too well. At least I know how I'll be wearing my hair...


Not exactly the look I was going for. James - of Bartles & James - has recently cut off her hair as well and suggested Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray. I figured...for six bucks at CVS, why the hell not? Applied onto dry and flat ironed hair it worked exactly the way I wanted!


But this really isn't supposed to be about "the product" (which I was VERY pleased with how it worked), it's all about THE SMELL! Oh, it was glorious. The perfect beachy scent in my mind. I totally wish it could be bottled. When I first started spraying, it was infatuation on first sniff! I kept spraying as a took the aroma in...until I could hear the plop, plop, plop of salty liquid on the floor. I had completely saturated one particular strand of my hair. OOPS!!!

The smells - to me - is THE perfect beach aroma. There's coconut, a smidgen of banana, salt and seaweed. It's like if Aqua di Sale and Bronze Goddess had a love child, and the baby was kissed on the forehead by its quirky uncle, who just happens to be Gorilla Perfume's Lady Boy. It's subdued salty tropical goodness at it's best. Plenty of coconut in there, but not so much that you want to put it in a blender with ice and drink it. (Paper umbrella would be mandatory in this hypothetical situation.) Seriously, they really should make this into a proper perfume. If not for the market, then just for me. Are you listening out there...people at Not Your Mother's? So thank you to James for the recommendation and thank you to the Reed Making Warrior for a lovely day by the water! (During the warmer months, the salt water in my veins becomes very pronounced!)

*Currently Listening: An Honest Mistake by The Bravery
**Photo Credits: All photos are my own.


3 comments:

  1. Hello, yes we are listening :) and we're happy to hear how much you like Not Your Mother's Beach Babe texturizing sea salt spray! No plans as of now to make it a fragrance but it does come in travel size so you can keep it in your purse for a "scent touch up" throughout the day!
    the NYM team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all commenting back totally made my day! So unexpected, yet so awesome! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the travel size! So perfect for summer travel and unpredictable Boston humidity!

      Delete
  2. HUGE congratulations to you! see more. Brazilian Blowout

    ReplyDelete