Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dear Charlie 1.0

*Current Fragrance: Pentachord Verdant by Andy Tauer
*Currently Listening: Lorelai by Fleet Foxes



Dear Charlie,

So my beau and I have very different preferences in scents and I'd love to surprise him with a compromise. I'd happily wear cologne as I really dislike the flowery sweetness of women's perfumes but he doesn't like how even the softest men's cologne smells on me. The "clean" labelled scents at the local Sephora are not what I had in mind, either. I'm looking for something subtle, different, maybe citrusy (I love the smell when my lemon tree blossoms), but definitely made for women. He suggested something like how freshly-washed hair smells (i.e., some conditioners), and that is another scent I'm OK with. Is there anything out there that might bring our noses together?

Thanks,

Trouble

Hey there Trouble!

Thanks so much for your question and pretty much STARTING No Disassemble Charlie No. 5's "Ask Charlie" column! I have to say, you have very similar fragrance likes to that of James (of Bartles and James fame). My biggest pieces of advice: throw gender out of the picture. If it smells good on you... and you and your beau both dig it...WEAR IT!

Since I've met you, IRL, it gives me a bit more to go on - so...here we go Trouble...

1) Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez: Lemony fresh and light, with just enough spice to make it interesting

2) Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermes: Citrus (mostly grapefruit) kissed by a rose (AHHH! Can't get Seal out of my brain now!)

3) Citron de Vigne from Fresh: Clean and sophisticated without any spice. Doesn't try too hard.

4) Green Tea from Elizabeth Adren: This one has recently come back into my life and I'm quite glad. There's something insanely familiar and comforting to it. It's a cool cotton dress and some iced tea on a porch with the breeze blowing past you. (But NOT Southern Sweet Tea!) Plus...you CAN NOT beat the price point!

5) L'Eau Froide from Serge Lutens: This isn't EXACTLY what you were asking for, but I think you'll like it! The iciness of it gives you something fun to wrap your head around & I think you'd enjoy that. Cold, wet, herbal....refreshing.

That's what I think you might like - all filtered through my fragrance "eye". Hope it helps!!! Maybe my Dear Readers can give you some more suggestions in the comments. What say you, Dear Readers?!?!?!

Happy Sniffing,

"Charlie"

Do you have a "Dear Charlie" fragrance related question? Put it in the comments or email us at dscharlieno5@gmail.com - I'll be answering one a week, as well as a new "Charlie" pic per "Dear Charlie" post! Charlie Bucket perhaps....

*Currently Listening: Rollin Back by My Morning Jacket
**Photo Credits: shelleyhack.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment